It’s always an exciting moment to open up the catcher on my grinder to see how much kief I’ve collected. While others pepper their joints with the kief, I like to eat it. It gracefully infuses into oils and fats so there’s no need to strain or use a cheesecloth. It’s potent and low-maintenance which makes me all sorts of happy.
The kief in the catcher smelled especially spicy and earthy from all the OG Kush I’ve been smoking lately. This specific terpene profile is perfect for a medicated eggnog with cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
The sous vide method made this recipe extra simple since there was no need to babysit a stovetop to prevent the eggs from curdling. After the decarboxylation, all you need to do is add your ingredients to a bag and let the water bath work its magic. In the end, you’ll have the most divine eggnog to share with your loved ones this holiday season.
Recipe: Homemade Cannabis-Infused Eggnog
Start to finish: 1 hour 30 minutes (active: 10 minutes)
Yield: 4 servings
Approximate dosage: 10mg per serving*
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1 cup whole milk
• 3 large egg yolks
• ½ gram kief
• ½ cup granulated sugar
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
• Pinch of salt
• 2 ounces bourbon, optional
• Ground cinnamon and nutmeg for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 250˚F. Put the kief in a small ovenproof dish and toast for 20 minutes to decarboxylate.
- Set your sous vide water bath to 185˚F.
3. In a mixing bowl, thoroughly whisk the heavy cream, milk, egg yolks, decarbed kief, sugar, nutmeg, vanilla, and salt until frothy and uniform.
- Seal the eggnog mixture in a freezer-safe, zip-sealed bag and lay the bag on the edge of the countertop to push out all the air before you seal.
- Once the sous vide water bath has reached its temp, place the sealed bag into the water, making sure the bag is completely submerged.
- Sous vide for one hour.
- Remove the bag from the water bath and pour the mixture into a blender. Puree until smooth.
- At this point you can blend bourbon into the eggnog (if using).
- Refrigerate until cool. The eggnog will thicken even more in the fridge. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
*Note: The amount of cannabis product specified in this recipe is a very loose suggestion; the actual amount you use should be modified based on the strength of your cannabis product and the potency you desire. Dosing homemade edibles can be tricky (click here to learn why), so the best way to test for potency is to start with one portion of a serving, wait one to two hours, then make an informed decision on whether to consume more. Always dose carefully and listen to your body, and never drive under the influence of cannabis.